I just updated my site to use wordpress instead of Etomite and I must say it’s a huge improvement. WordPress has such a large database of plugins you can make it do just about anything you can think of. If you are setting up a wordpress blog I’ll share my list of plugins so you won’t have to do the research to find the good ones:
- All in One SEO Pack – Great SEO plugin does just about everything automatically but will let you tune things for those that want complete control.
- Custom Page Extensions – I used this to add the “.html” extension to my pages to preserve the same urls I used with Etomite.
- Exclude Pages from Navigation – This plugin lets you specify pages that don’t appear in the top navigation. Useful because I needed to migrate several pages but didn’t want them to clutter up my top navigation.
- Google Analyticator – Quickly add Google Analytics code to the site. Easy to setup.
- Google XML Sitemaps – Creates a site map. Easy as clicking install.
- NoFollow Free – Removes the nofollow attribute from the link backs in comments. Encourages people to comment on your blog.
- Post-to-Post Links II – easily link pages and posts together. Truthfully this should be built into WordPress.
- Quick Adsense – Quickly add adsense to your blog posts and in the sidebar. I chose this one because it’s easy and it actually randomly chooses the ad format so people are less prone to ad blindness.
- Really Simple Sitemap – Creates an HTML sitemap so people can easily see your whole site.
- Yet Another Related Posts Plugin – A good plugin that adds links to related post after each post so your visitors will be more likely to read more of your blog.