Protaculous – minified and optimized prototype + scriptaculous

Minified versions of Prototype 1.7 + Scriptaculous 1.9.0

Last month the developers of Scriptaculous blessed us with a new released based on Prototype 1.7 so I thought we should see how well it minified. Nobody else seems to be providing minified versions so I thought I would make a few of my own. I used the YUI Compressor and Google’s new Closure Compiler. I tried Dean Edwards packer but the resulting code gave parse errors. Google closure compile in advanced mode didn’t work either but the simple optimization seem to be working and the result is smaller than with the YUI compressor. I’ve run a few of the functional tests in scriptaculous and they worked fine. Both tools claim to be 100% safe but be sure to test everything.

protaculous – uncompressed 281.2 KB

protaculous minified with YUI compressor – with default options – 165.3 KB

Protaculous Google Closure Simple – with simple optimizations –  159.1 KB – WARNING has been reported to cause problems when using the drag and drop functions.

Let me know if any of them don’t work and I’ll see what I can do.

4 thoughts on “Protaculous – minified and optimized prototype + scriptaculous”

  1. Thanks for these.

    In case someone else wants to use these files., I thought I’d let you know that I did encounter a problem with the “Protaculous Google Closure Simple” version.

    I’m using Scriptaculous for its drag & drop functionality.

    I originally downloaded the “Protaculous Google Closure Simple” version as it is slightly smaller.

    With IE 8 only (as far as I can tell it is fine with IE 9, Firefox, and Chrome) dragging does not work. It works fine if I revert to the original non-minified versions of Prototype 1.7 + Scriptaculous 1.9.0.

    I’ve just downloaded the “protaculous minified with YUI compressor” version and it seems to resolve the problem.

    Thanks again!

  2. I had problems with the original minified Protaculous which caused an Ajax.Autocompleter to stop from working. Yours, compressed with works perfectly fine! Thanks a lot for this. FYI, the compressed file is only 86KB.

  3. Thanks for this. I’m always looking for ways to shrink my code base. Have you ever tried using google to load in prototype and scriptaculous. It works quite well, but if you need to modify them you’re obviously out of luck.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.